Professor Severus Snape's Office - click on the photo to visit it

"Happy is (s)he who, like Ulysses, has travelled far...."



Apr 6, 2010

Day 4, 5, 6... sponging

Ok, I have to admit, as I still don't have the digital camera, there is no photo from the day no 4 there. The film in my camera has just ended when most needed - as usual I would say ;) But on this day I was still putting dark grey acrylic paint on the inside walls and light grey on the outside, so that you couldn't see the colour of the bricks anymore.
As I don't want to have just one colour on the walls, for the next couple of days I was "sponging" the walls ;) I watered acrylic paint down, dipped a moist sponge in this paint and then put it on the walls with round moves. I used several colours of paints: dark and light grey, dark and light green, black, white, yellow, blue and brown. I broke two nails doing that but the effect I think is worth it ;)I have to say I was a bit affraid of putting so much damp on the walls but nothing wrong happened to them and they still stand straight :) So here are the photos of how the office looks after putting all these coats of paints on it. As you can see I was trying to make it aged and used ;) The look from the above And some close-ups. Two sides of the door I need the handle and "gothic" hingers on the other side of the door yet. Now the window This is my favourite wall - probably beacuse this one is least straight;) And I want it to be the north wall so I will add more green on it in the near future:) Two corners ;) And the other side of the fireplace That's it for today. Hope You like it!:)

14 comments:

Michelle said...

This IS a fabulous look! Wonderful work and I love it! :o)) I agree in nature nothing is truly one colour and you have created the age look just as it should be.

Oh, I'm always breaking my nails (they are very long when I'm 'not' doing mini construction work!) lol I just trim them up and start again! ;o)

Michelle xxx

The Old Maid said...

Thank you Michelle! And that's what I did with my nails too;)

Merry Jingle said...

It looks SO nice, I can't wait to see it ready :)

Ira

Marit said...

It looks great, very realistic! Good job! The broken nails were worth it, I think!

Marit

The Old Maid said...

You're too kind for me Ladies! Thank you!

The Dangerous Mezzo said...

This looks amazing -- the brickwork is so very successful and your sponging technique has just brought everything to life! I love the windows, but my very favourite thing has to be the fabulous red door :) Thanks so much for posting!

onbeingaminimum said...

It looks brilliant. I am an absolute coward when it comes to creating these kind of effects.
Regards,
Janice

Norma Bennett said...

Pity abour the nails - but the effect is fabulous :)

The Old Maid said...

Norma, thank you for the nice words!

The Old Maid said...

Janice, try one day! It is a lot of fun and since there is a lot of different layers of colour to put on the walls you can't spoil anything! ;)

The Old Maid said...

The Dangerous Mezzo, thank you very much! I am still thinking of repainting the door with some non-stinking brown paint....;)

Merry Jingle said...

Hi you there, there's a award for you in my blog :)

Ira

Unknown said...

FANTASTIC!!!!

The Old Maid said...

Thank you very much!