Professor Severus Snape's Office - click on the photo to visit it

"Happy is (s)he who, like Ulysses, has travelled far...."



Apr 3, 2012

A Tour 'round Poland with a Dear Friend from Far Away.Podróż po Polsce z Przyjaciółką z bardzo Daleka.

Please forgive me this post is Really Really Photos Heavy............................................................................................But I know a few of you must be waiting for this report and I couldn't wait to post about it!:D But I had to wait for a certain "O.K" form A very very V.I.P!!;D......................................................................................... As many of you already know Sans! decided to visit a few blogging Friends in Europe this year. She was struggeling with jet-lags, long flights and trips by trains, different faces, languages, kitchen and weather.;D You could read her posts about this trip and reports from Eva, Rosanna, Sylvia and Brigit.............................................................................................So here is my report about a trip of this Lovely Lady, gifted Woman and great generous and patient Friend around Poland. We started from an evening in Gdynia on Monday and then on Tuesday a short trip to Gdańsk and Sopot.
We literally just dropped in to Sopot and went back to Gdynia, as the same evening we travelled to Kraków (Cracow) - the best known Polish city among foreign tourists. We went there by night train and the trip took us...13 hours! ..........................................................................................First thing that we saw there was Wawel the Royal Castle, as Kraków was a capital city of Poland for many ages in the history........................................................................................................ The Cathedral in Wawel Castle.
Wawel's courtyard.
Inside the Treasury room.
Some adornation.
And older part of Wawel castle.
Then we walked to the main square of Kraków's Old Town. We saw the tower of no longer existing Town Hall with Sukiennice behind it.
Then we stopped to have a meal in Jama Michalika Restaurant. Sans! really liked the soups served in the "vases" made of bread. Mostly she loved the sour soup called Żurek.:)
Then we went to see Kościół Mariacki outside.
And inside.
More wonderful photos of this church you can see on Sans! blog.:) I guess she loved it.:) AND we both were sure that Betsy would love to see this church herself!!:D.....................................................................................Then we visited the district of Kraków called Kazimierz. This district is divided into 2 parts and we visited the Jewish part of it.
In the evening the same day we walked The Royal Route. We saw Barbakan, the arsenal.
And the St Florian's gate.
Kościół Mariacki looked charming in the night.
We ended this day trying Polish dishes.
Guess what Sans! loved most? YUP, the chilli sauce! (Which of course is NOT our national dish. LOL!).............................................................................................. The next day we went by bus to Wieliczka to see the Salt Mine, which is also on UNESCO lists. Everything under ground is made of salt. Including the chandeliers made of salt crystals.
There are quite few scenes showing how people were working there.
We walked on food 140 meters down under the ground.
To see St Kinga.
And her chapel, made by only 3 workers after their working hours!
We met the Salt Mine's Treasurer.
And I couldn't stop admiring these chandeliers...;)
We came back to Gdynia by the night train again and in the morning we went to Kościuszki Square. Although Sans! had to struggle with very strong winds and cold in Poland, Gdynia bided her farewell with the sunny skies.
It was an amazing experience to meet face to face someone I knew for over 2 years only in virtual world. Someone who is a very very special Lady whom it is impossible not to love! :)I do hope we will meet again and some day I will be able to meet more of my Blogging Friends!:) ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. Relacja z pobytu Sans! w Polsce.Tak na prawdę jest ona pierwszą osobą znaną mi z Bloggera, którą poznałam osobiście.:) Jak widzicie spędziłyśmy czas zwiedzając Trójmiasto, Kraków i Wieliczkę.:) Mam nadzieję, że kiedyś uda mi się spotkać również z Wami.:)

34 comments:

Eva said...

Hi Ewa.....love your pictures...it makes me dream to visit one day Poland because every thing you post is gorgeous.
Susan explain em about the soup inside the bread ☺
You are right we are getting closer and it makes me feel very happy!!!
Un beso

Drora's minimundo said...

Dear Ewa, thank you so much for a wonderful description of your visits to all these interesting places. I know Sans loved it from her posts.
Hugs

Ascension said...

Hola Ewa
Seguro que Susan se lo paso genial contigo visitando tu preciosa ciudad.
Sois dos personas muy especiales, generosas, amables y cariñosas, no me extraña que os hayais entendido.
Es una sensacion maravillosa (como tu dices), conocer a alguien con quien solo hablas por el ordenador.
A mi me encanto conocerla, fue un placer.
besitos ascension

The Old Maid said...

Dear Eva, I truly believe one day you will visit my country and I will visit yours.:)
I do think that bread's vases are probably something more popular here than anywhere else.;)
And I envy you just a bit you have so many great Miniaturists around you. Love your meeting's photos.:)
Hugs and kisses

The Old Maid said...

Dear Drora,thank you so much! Hope these photos and Sans stories will make you coming here one day.:)
Hugs

The Old Maid said...

Querida Ascension! As I said to Eva, you are lucky Ladies, you can meet sometimes somewhere in Spain.:)
And yes, it is amazing to meet blogging Friend in real life.
Hope we will meet one day too!
Besitos
Ewa

malu2 said...

Ewa, precioso reportaje, nosotras tambien hemos conocido a Susan en España, ha sido fantastico, y hemos comido tus chocolates que trajo Susan para nosotras, estaban deliciosos,en el blog de Eva los tengo en la mano!!
Besos desde España de las Malu´s.

Maria Ireland said...

Hello Ewa Your pictures are wonderful. I love Poland and have been 4 times lol. Pity I did not know you then but I hope I might get back again someday. Thank you for sharing your wonderful few days with Sans.
Hugs Maria

The Old Maid said...

Malu, I am a bit jealous about your meeting in Spain.;D So many Miniaturists-Friends together! Lucky you! Happy you liked sweets!:D
Hugs and kisses

The Old Maid said...

Thank you Maria!
Hope you will be back here soon so we could meet!:D
Hugs

BiWuBär said...

You're calling THIS a photo heavy post??? Neverever... in my opinion you could have shown many, many more pictures of your beautiful country and of one of the lovliest bloggers ever. In a way I could imagine the fun Susan and you must have had together, making all these experiences and discoveries - thank you very much for this wonderful post!

Greetings
Birgit

Daydreamer said...

Dear Ewa! I have been a little Jealous of You ALL for your visits....:)! I LOVE your photos! I LOVE seeing the same place viewed from two different perspectives! Your pictures of the Cathedral showed me parts that Sans' did not! I especially liked the view of the church from through the iron work of those Amazing chandeliers! And I loved to see the close-up details of some of the painted parts.... parts that I will need to copy into my Own Dollhouse Chapel! I am so glad you had such a fascinating and wonderful visit!
I Love the clouds in your picture of Gdynia!
And the Salt Mines are just plain Unreal! (Now I understand better when someone says "back to the Salt Mines" !!!)
Thank you so much for sharing!

The Old Maid said...

Dearest Brigit, I decided not to post every photo I took to give Sans! a chance to show the photos she took! LOL!
I had a lot of fun with our dear Friend and I hope so did she! ;D
I really do hope you and I will meet some day too!:)
Hugs and kisses!

The Old Maid said...

You know, dear Betsy, you were REALLY the first and only person we both with Sans! thought about when entering Mariacki Church! We instantly knew you would LOVE it!:D
I can't wait to see these paintings copied in miniature by you, dear Betsy!
Yes, the Salt Mine in Wieliczka is really special, worth seeing in real....sooooo...pack your bags and come over here!!:)
I hope we will meet in real life once too!
Hugs

Eva - tatalamaru said...

Ewa, primero de todo decirte que muchas gracias por enviar los ricos bombones a través de Susan, estaban deliciosos.
Fué un placer conocerla, al igual que imagino, lo fué para ti.
La llevaste a lugares preciosos y encima comisteis comidas típicas de tu pais.
Un encuentro inmejorable, diría yo.
No imaginaba yo tu pais tan bonito. Tendré que ir pensando en hacer un viaje hasta allí.
Besos

The Old Maid said...

Eva, muchisimas gracias! Happy you liked sweets.:)
Do that! Whenever you decide to come to Poland I will be very happy to meet you!:D
Hugs and kisses

Arestrea said...

Wspaniale spędziłyście ten czas:)

P.S. No to jak będziesz kiedyś we Wrocławiu, to mam rozumieć, że dasz znać? ;)

The Old Maid said...

No pewnie!!! Już się bój! Haha! Żartuję, ale tak na serio we Wrocławiu na pewno prędzej czy później będę.I mam nadzieję, że się uda nam wtedy spotkać. No chyba, że szybciej zawitasz do Trójmiasta.:)
Uściski

John said...

Those salt-crystal chandeliers are astounding! What great photos...I do hope to see your lovely country,, some day.

Christel said...

Dear Ewa, what a wonderful visit between you and Sans,the photos are treasure. thank you for sharing. xoxo Christel

Kathy said...

Hey Cousin, when I came home this evening, Kathy was jumping up and down with excitement about your photos. She kept repeating "Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.... " Kathy wants to visit you right now! And Kathy has traveled to many countries with her old job (better than Paris). Wonder why our grand-parents left such a beautiful place? TKO

Eliana said...

I loved the photos, thanks for sharing.
Hugs

The Old Maid said...

Thank you so muc John! Do that! It IS a beautiful country!:) Hope to see you here one day.;D

The Old Maid said...

Happy you like them, Christel! Thank you! It was awesome to meet blogging Friend in real life.:)
Hugs

The Old Maid said...

Hey,dear Cousin I do hope that seeing these photos you will finally decide to come here with Kathy!!!!:D
Anyway they must have had their reasons. But it shouldn't stop you from visiting Poland.;D
Hugs and kissses to both of You:)

The Old Maid said...

Thank you, Eliana! Happy you like them!:)
Hugs

Gill said...

It was lovely to share the trip and see all your beautiful photos. Gill x

The Old Maid said...

Thank you, Gill! Happy you liked our reports.:D
Hugs

Plushpussycat said...

Beautiful photos! The salt mines are fascinating. I love the chandeliers too! Ever notice how photogenic Sans is? :-) Jennifer

The Old Maid said...

Oh yes! She is!!!! And imagine how many times I was hearing "Don't show my photos without my O.K."?! Can you imagine that, Jennifer? I am soooo jealous because I don't look good on photos at all...:(

Sans! said...

Ewa, you are crazy! You look stunning, pics and real life. I was right when I told Birgit, You look like a film star :).

Kathy O-O , you must visit Poland. Ewa and I spoke of you and your hubby with great affectation and admiration. You both should meet!

Ewa, yesterday, during my run, I shared my experiences in Poland and with you with my running mates :). See? You are never far :). I can still see the internet cafe where we were ...

The Old Maid said...

Ohhh THAT ugly place...LOL! Funny thing because you are never far too, dear Sans! And I am sure it is going to stay this way for I will be meeting my family and friends during Easter and they want to know all about our trip...:D

Jollie said...

Ohhh Ewa, I am so sorry that I am so far behind on your blog posts... (I have a busy 1:1 life at the moment)
I love to read that you had such a great time meeting these wonderful blog friends!!!
The pictures are stunning!!!!
These memories will last forever dear!! :-)

Hugs Jollie

The Old Maid said...

Thank you, Jollie! I do think so!:)
Hugs